Welcome

This is an attempt to document my efforts to grow and eat locally around Melbourne, Derbyshire. My family own a nine acre smallholding on which we grow fruit and vegetables and keep bees, and chickens, but that won't feed us alone, so the idea is to get to know our local produce and to see how easy/hard it is to follow a diet that is local to within 30 miles. The fun part is also trying some new (easy) recipes that use home-grown and local produce. Feel free to comment, send in recipes, and share your experiences of buying and eating locally.

Monday 7 May 2012

Holland and Ginkos

I've been away for a week in the Netherlands on a cycling holiday.  I was really impressed at how widely they did "local" there.  The seasonal speciality at the moment is of course asparagus, and they had whole asparagus menus, and asparagus festivals, even with asparagus deserts!  It was wonderful to cycle past so many veg plots and allotments, and their allotments seemed really well organised - tidy and with matching sheds, all with water butts.  It was really interesting to see the different areas specialities, eg cheese, vegetables, flowers etc.  Our favourite place was Leiden Hortus Botanicus, the oldest garden in Holland, dating from the late 1500s, and I was particularly taken with this Ginkgo Biloba which was around 400 years old but had had a female branch grafted onto the male tree about 70 years ago.  Ginkgos produce edible nuts and I have planted a couple at home this year, but I don't think I'll live to see them to this size.

No comments:

Post a Comment