Welcome

This is an attempt to document my efforts to grow and eat locally around Melbourne, Derbyshire. My family own a nine acre smallholding on which we grow fruit and vegetables and keep bees, and chickens, but that won't feed us alone, so the idea is to get to know our local produce and to see how easy/hard it is to follow a diet that is local to within 30 miles. The fun part is also trying some new (easy) recipes that use home-grown and local produce. Feel free to comment, send in recipes, and share your experiences of buying and eating locally.

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Shepherd's pie



This amazing meal is ideal for everyone including myself and you have to try the spectacular recipe as well as the taste. I recommend everything on this website and only cowards wouldn't try it. try it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! p.s. my plate is the one in the top left but the picture was taken early on, before i cleared my plate. by KS. :)

The meal was a success - I made this with local pork mince - Ok so it wasn't truly a "shepherd's" pie.  I also added some grated swede, carrot and onion and some soya mince to make it go further, cheaper and less of a meat footprint.  Homegrown ingredients were leeks, garlic, herbs and home-made rhubarb wine, local ingredients were the pork, carrot, onion, swede and potato, and non-local were tomato puree, soya mince, soya sauce, worcestershire sauce and veg bouillon.  The meal today was definitely within the 80% local boundary.  It took a long time to cook and prepare the main and pudding, but I made enough for tomorrow's dinner too, so that's a big time saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment